Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Wildflowers

I've started calling Lula and Heidi my Wildflowers (instead of Wild Things or Thing 1 and Thing 2).  These two are a force to be reckoned with.  I don't know if it's their genes or their close age or gender or what, but wow.


This is what happened the other day:
Lula lined three Lincoln Logs up. Heidi kicked them over.  Lula got upset, understandably, and got in Heidi's face, but didn't actually touch her.  Heidi slapped Lula's arm.  Lula started to cry because Heidi hit her.

Lula (crying): Mom! Heidi hit me!
Me: Lula, you were in her face. I saw you!
Lula (crying stopped, glaring at Heidi): Heidi, I don't like you anymore!
Heidi stares at Lula for a second with a straight face and then bursts out with noisy fake sobs.
We all laugh.
Lula (screaming): Stop teasing me!
Heidi (screaming): Stop screaming!
We all laugh more
Lula (screaming): Stop teasing me!
Heidi (screaming): Stop screaming!
We all laugh harder.
Lula (screaming): Stop teasing me!
Heidi (screaming): Stop screaming!
We all laugh until we are crying
Lula (screaming): Stop teasing me!
Heidi (screaming): Stop screaming!
Me (tears running down my face): Oh, Lula, come here sweetie
Lula: NO! (runs to her room screaming at the top of her lungs)
Heidi runs to me instead.


One is stormy and emotional (and lazy) and the other is competitive and divisive and high-energy.  If my experience and assumptions are correct, I am in for the ride of a lifetime with these two...

(but in their defense, Lula is so creative in her play and very imaginative and Heidi is so full of life and exuberance.  They both are so loving and snuggly although one must wear teeth and groin guards while snuggling twitchy Heidi)