Wednesday, November 16, 2016

TJed Day

I'm only writing this out so when I come back and read old posts for fun, I have a record of a normal day. Not super great or fun. Not super stressful that I need to laugh about. Just normal.


On Monday (today is Wednesday), I was able to get "it all" done.  I worked for a few hours on my dad's business after I started the laundry.  I did some science with my anatomy and physiology class (subject: teeth).  We talked about why it is important to clean our teeth, made a decision to dissolve Daniel's next baby tooth in soda, and talked about the upcoming dentist appointments starting next week.  We reviewed the digestive system (we know everything we need to know thanks to The Magic Schoolbus, thank you) and learned about the renal system.  The fun never ends around here!

After we did the group work, I sent everyone off to do their individual subjects.  I manage chaos while those who are independent enough to learn alone do so.

Fiona is finally thriving in a math program.  She is (mostly) enjoying Math U See Beta.  She watches the DVD on my computer and then completes how ever many pages we can complete in a day (it all depends on what else we have going on).  She is reading like crazy whenever she can, so I do not even assign books.  She asked for suggestions, so I gave her a stack of books from my stash.


Daniel is so non-traditional.  His math sheets often look like this:


Praise the Lord for him being #5 and not #1.  I never would have survived if he were.  I have learned so much about kids and the amazing way they function in the last few years.  One thing I've really had slap me in the face is being purposeful about building transitions into my day.  This means I don't accomplish much in the way of number of subjects, but the quality of what we do cover is much better.  This includes eating peanut butter sandwiches, I kid you not.  I really do need to stand over them (all) and make sure every task, whether it be eating, tidying, or learning, is finished to completion.

Tuesday morning ran much like Monday, only I pulled out my indestructible world map and outlined China and the Koreas with the wet erase marker.  We reviewed the definition of a peninsula and how it is different from an island, which led us to Japan.  At that moment, Shane came around, saw that we were talking about the Koreas, and added his two cents about their history and politics.  Another light bulb moment for me!  Always keep my younger class a few weeks behind Shane so when he notices what we are doing, he can be the guy who already knows everything.  I was free to read on in my Eastern Hemisphere book, so I can teach from conversation instead of reading straight from the book. 

Miles of stockinet stitch, courtesy of Nana's knitting machine
I am trying to be "done" with "school" by afternoon so we can be more "flexible" with "learning."  Yes, all those quotes were necessary.  Afternoons are for me and my learning if I am to follow the TJed methodology.  Monday afternoon I blogged.  I set the example that writing (spelling, grammar, recording my thoughts and feelings, communicating with others through the written word) is something that is fun and necessary. Tuesday we had to work, so we were on the road all afternoon.  Wednesday afternoons, Shane and Genevieve have a science class taught by a local (Washington State certified) teacher and homeschool mom.  They are taking my favorite class to teach (that isn't preschool): chemistry.  They get to do real experiments with real chemicals and real glassware!  Of course I own all that stuff too, but there are no toddlers at their teacher's house.  Only other middle schoolers.  Shane and Genna are perfect study partners.  Genna is a perfectionist and makes Shane quiz her over and over, which means Shane gets plenty of practice in too.

Ian is home after school every afternoon now that football is over.  All the little kids are happy to see him.  I am too.  Although I miss him, I'm glad that someone else had to grade his schoolwork and tell him to answer in complete sentences.   He is a decent student and has shown that although I felt like I didn't do enough for him, the combination of what we did do and his natural talent is enough to get by.  The biggest thing he has to work on are character based.

Next blog post will be Jason milestones!