Saturday, September 29, 2007

Apples, apples

This morning I convinced my DH to take us to a local apple orchard I wanted to explore. I've seen their signature variety of apple at the local grocery store for $2.99 a pound (!), so I was hoping we could get them cheaper on site. But, oh. We had so much fun. The owner gave us samples of the different varieties they grow and let us try them again with natural peanut butter they grind themselves! We tried it again with cheese! And then we sampled two blends of their apple cider. We were then invited to go explore their farm; we could go where we wanted! So my DH, DC three, and I hopped into a golf cart and explored the acres of apple trees, the pumpkin patches, and the cows next door. When we got back to the farm store we just had to buy. We bought a 25 pound box of not-so-pretty apples for only $33, two gallons of fresh apple cider, and a caramel apple for my DH, who totally earned it. Child #5 is upstairs right now as I write screaming "Apple! Apple!" at the top of her lungs... proof that we had fun!