Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Week of Thanksgiving

I realized today that I have not posted anything for a long, long time. I couldn't even remember what I did this week! So I downloaded my camera and found out...

Here are my perfect kids behaving perfectly while we do our all-inclusive study of China. Of course, since I am the perfect homeschooling mom, we read all our history books, all our fiction and folklore books, did arts and crafts, learned Chinese calligraphy, and learned some Chinese words. Not! We managed to get the bowls done after a few readings and I put the rest off until next week.

Then we made our boats for the Cub Scout Raingutter Regatta. Like our performance in the Pinewood Derby last year, we Did Our Best. And lost. But now we know that we need to set up our own rain gutters and practice before actually racing.

After that was Thanksgiving. We bought our turkey a long time ago it seems, although we aren't quite sure of the date. I do know that I did not put the turkey away when we got home. I thought M put it away in the deep freeze. So in between mad dashes here and there and everywhere, I would sometimes think about the turkey and try to remember to ask M when to take it out of the freezer so it would thaw in time for Thanksgiving. But I never did. Plus in our family, M cooks, I bake. Turkey is not my priority nor my problem. On Wednesday, M called me and asked me to get the turkey out of the cooler and put it in the refrigerator since it was going to be in the 50's that day and too warm. The cooler? You mean, the turkey has been in ONLY A COOLER for TEN DAYS??? But it showed no signs of bacteria and we cooked it. And cooked it. And cooked it. And here is the turkey that wouldn't reach optimal temperature, the irritated cook, and the clock showing that our dinner was several hours late. If only M was holding a knife when I took this picture. Then it would be perfect.

We also had the pleasure of seeing L during the week and decided to have E's fourth birthday while L was here. L is not in the picture. I'm pretty sure I heard her say something about not wanting to be in the picture. And IJ no longer smiles for pictures. Punk!

E has her own Pokemon cards now! Goody! More cards for me to pick up and only return after the owner does push-ups. And she has marker kitty whiskers on her face, by the way (F has them too). Other gifts she received were Up (the latest Pixar movie-and one of my absolute favorites), clothes, and school books. Monday she officially starts school.

And the day after Thanksgiving, we took IJ's new archery set that he earned by selling Cub Scout popcorn outside for a test run. Or a test shoot. Or whatever archery sets do. It is nice having 15 acres to do things like this on. And look who I captured! Photographic evidence that L visited us! (She's the tall one, F is the short one- haha) And who can resist this little clown?