Saturday, May 19, 2012

Surprise Chicks!

Last night, IJ celebrated his 10th birthday with a small sleepover.  He had four friends stay over after having a bunch more here for the afternoon.  One of their activities was chicken chasing.  I asked them to stay out of the chicken yard because I didn't want my broody hens disturbed.  I had no idea that the chicks were actually hatching!
Aren't fluffy chicks the BEST?
I candled the eggs last night to see if I had any obvious duds.  One eggs was so opaque, I couldn't find an air space no matter what direction I turned the egg.  I held it up to my ear to listen for the rotten egg splash, but instead I heard a tap-tap-tap.  I love that sound.  I came back in the house to tell the kids and M about it, but M didn't believe that I could hear tapping.  He said I made it all up.
This one is still slightly wet-not cute yet!
This afternoon, I finally convinced him to come out and see for himself.  When I reached under the hens (there are three brooding in the same nest box), I heard the peeping of a new chick!  I pulled it out (it was the little black one above) and I heard more peeping!  I had to reach even further behind the three hens to get that fluffy one in the first picture.
The Mamas (one is facing backwards)
Those chicks totally caught us by surprise.  It takes only 21 days for a chick to hatch, so I guess those eggs were a lot older than I had thought.  Most of the eggs were placed on May 7th, but I knew some were older.  I just didn't think they were that old!  We have no chick food and had to quickly throw a brooder together so the chicks wouldn't get squished under their three mamas.  What a fun surprise!