Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Kai

Mark brought home more than just fencing yesterday...


...but I wasn't surprised.  We went down to meet Kai on Sunday to see if he would be a good dog to add to our family.  Yes, yes, I know.  Me? Willingly add another pathetic doberman not even two months after we lost Mina?  I don't know what to tell you; God must have had His hand in my heart because I felt no trepidation or annoyance about the whole thing.  Plus, I got a fence out of the deal although no deals were made.


As you can see from the picture above, Kai shows no aggression whatsoever toward people. He just flopped down and put his head in  Heidi's lap.  He came from a home that had two boys (3yo and 5yo) and was well socialized at the park.  They had no fence and not enough time to dedicate to such an active dog, so they needed to find a new home for him.  We were chosen because we are home all day and won't crate him, we have lots of kids to love on him, and 15 acres to run.  He was very excited to explore every nook and cranny in the house yesterday and we were exhausted by bedtime, but today he has relaxed and is sacked out in the living room with Jack.  He and Jack had some territorial issues to work out, but it looks like Jack holds the beta position after Mark's alpha.  Kai's ears have those bandages because his crop job isn't quite firm yet.  We'll take them off in a week, but for now he can look like a bunny hopping through the grass.

The only problem so far is that he is curious about which toys belong to him.  Baby dolls are not his.  Balls of yarn are not his.  Lego men are not his.  And chickens are not his.  He loves to tear up cardboard boxes and chew up sticks and we have plenty of both.  He is at the perfect age to start real training and already knows many commands.  He is awesome on a leash with a regular collar and is even better when he gets his "working collar" on.  He choked himself one time going after the chickens today and stayed within leash length for the rest of the walk.  Do I blame him for being interested in chickens? No way! He's never seen or smelled them before.  Bringing Kai home is going to be great for both Mark and I.  This is the first time we have brought a dog home together and not just me giving in...

I'm already so happy to have him because this morning he barked at me when I sneaked into the dark kitchen to make coffee early this morning.  I want a dog that will bark at sneaking people, but also love kids.  Everything else is a matter of training.