Saturday, February 25, 2017

The Commons

I often complain that my children prefer to just sit around arguing by the fire like a bunch of old Romans in the town square.  Or like a bunch of college students who think they know everything but really know nothing.  They don't get much "schoolwork" done in these moments, but I hope they are forming strong families ties that will last through all eternity...
Read his arm
Ian has been home all week on Midwinter break.  By Thursday, he had slipped back into his old position in the sibling group and I felt like everything was right again.  They have been doing their normal Ian-led random activities/contests/debates.  My heart is happy and "schoolwork" can wait until he goes back to school next week.

There is something to be said about allowing your scholar-aged kids take a day to slip back into their Core phase and be a kid again.  I saw it with Ami and now I get to see it with Ian.  Ian has created a public school persona that is unlike his old homeschool self.  At school, he is a funny, popular athlete that may or may not have a larger than average family, but he isn't telling.  His home self, when he gets comfortable being here again, is a funny, dorky, Zelda-playing woodcarver.  Shhh! I won't tell if you won't!