Monday, August 21, 2017

Eclipse Pics

I was like a kid looking forward to Christmas.  I ordered my solar glasses months ago and seriously thought about flipping them for a profit to the unprepared.  I read all sorts of articles about how to make pin hole viewers and other neat things to look for.  I knew we wouldn't have 100% cover and see Bailey's Beads or the corona (Latin for crown), but I was excited to see what we could see.

Pin Hole Viewer
 I even read articles on how to keep your "fur babies" (oh how I hate that term) safe from the eclipse.  I agree with everyone that says only humans are stupid enough to look at the sun.
Jack doesn't seem concerned

I'm a good pet owner

Lula didn't care and told me to go away
A shot through the eclipse glasses
I'm not exactly sure how safe my glasses are, so I had rules about who, what, where, when, and how long people could look at the sun.

Hopefully we won't be blind tomorrow
 The shadows turned out to be the best way to watch the eclipse:


I love that we can see the individual branches


It didn't get completely dark here, but it was a darky inky dusk feeling with the sun still shining.  All our senses were messed up because when the sun is shining and the sky is blue in August, it is hot.  We felt like we were looking through tinted glasses and the air was chilly enough that Mark headed in to find a sweatshirt.  It was strangely quiet here, but my friend says all the dogs were howling in her neighborhood. 


It was hard to capture the darkness with my camera because it automatically adjusts its settings in low light.  But you can see in the picture of Heidi above how the sun is shining right on her face, but she isn't squinting or looking away.

Ian is at football practice.  I sent him with a pair of glasses plus an extra to share.  I hope they got to take a break and watch a little of it!