Tuesday, June 10, 2008

June-uary

Where is summer? We are so cold that our heat actually turned on today! We feel like hibernating in this cold weather... I know I just want to sit around in flannel pjs drinking coffee...

One might think I like to take pictures of my messy living room and post them where everyone can see what a wonderful housekeeper I am. But this is actually an "unschooling" science project. For those who haven't heard the term unschooling, you basically let your kids run wild and they learn from their own adventures (or misadventures). Of course if the child is in an environment rich with literature and other stimulating academic activities, they might do well. But I don't see an advantage to letting a child choose when they learn to read or do math. I don't unschool. I homeschool. And I digress... This "unschooling" science project can also be described as imaginative playtime for a six, four, and two year old. They are in their cocoons, waiting to emerge as hairy moths. IJ is under the beige blanket asking his brother, who is under the tiger blanket, "How many more days until you emerge?" Evie, under the colorful blanket, is mimicking her brother word for word. My Pathetic Doberman is just waiting for them to abandon this game so she can curl up on my blankets.

Now for our next adventure...

IJ went to his first Cub Scout meeting last night where he crossed the bridge with the rest of the scouts who were advancing. This meeting was the big end of the year shin dig, where scouts were honored by their families for all their achievements for the year. The meeting was from 6:30 to 8:30 pm at a local park. This was the view as I drove to the park...My windshield wipers were going super-speed. I had to drive 25mph on a road I normally take at 45mph. When we got to the park, three of my kids were sound asleep. Did I mention I was alone with the four little ones?  Mark was at his Mason meeting, being promoted to Master Mason. Laura was studying for her 8:00 am final in Greek Mythology. Ami was performing in her last Jazz Band concert. Busy night! So, the little kids were sleeping. It was freezing and raining and did I just see lightning? And thundering and pouring down rain... Was I crazy for brining a 5 1/2 week old baby out in this weather so her big brother could be honored? Yes, I was. So I started the long process of waking a two year old from a much-needed nap. This is what happened when we headed into the park:Shane took off running when he saw the play structure. IJ was lagging behind, helping his sister who wouldn't walk... I know it is hard to see, but he is trying to carry his sister down the wet slippery stairs. I'm stuck in between them, in the freezing pouring rain, holding a baby. Who do I go after? Do I run after Shane to tell him not to go down the slide because his bottom will be wet and cold for the rest of the night? Do I turn around and helping Evie walk, but expose Baby Fiona to more cold rain on her little head? Or should I just stand there like an idiot and take some pictures?Luckily we made it to the covered picnic area without hypothermia. But it was close! One thing I already love about this Scout Troop is how family friendly they are. This troop is for homeschoolers only and there are some pretty big families involved! Kids were running around crazy, making the sounds only kids can make in the excitement of being outdoors in a lightning and thunder storm. The meeting was jam packed with fun songs and jokes, one joke being performed by Ami's much-admired biology teacher (that's right, a public school teacher that homeschools!). My favorite part was when Evie had to go potty. I had to take the four on them in the heated bathroom where I played SuperMom. I breastfed the Baby while helping Evie go potty while telling Shane that he had to untuck his shirt from his underpants before he put his coat back on while telling IJ that the sink would turn off by itself so stop pushing the button. Mrs. Biology Teacher walked in while this was happening and witnesses what nutcases Ami's family really is. Her cool facade was busted!

Here is IJ crossing the bridge to becoming a Tiger Cub...And here is his brother congratulating him... not on becoming a Cub Scout, but because he took the step necessary to get us all back in the van and heading home to hot cocoa!Coming up Next... I could have KILT my husband for what he bought at the Scottish Highland Games last weekend!