Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Summer Fun

This hasn't been my funnest summer, but it hasn't been my worst either.  The summer we moved and the summer we lost Grandad were much worse.  We do try to do our best around here...

The apples are getting harvested.  Those are just the fallen apples...we have three more trees full...
That sixty pound box means apple sauce, apple butter, and dried apples.
Lula has reached that "getting into everything" age and is an expert computer hacker.  The gates are up, the dogs don't get to free feed anymore, and heavy buckets line the kitchen cupboards that don't have child locks.  I no longer take her anywhere-I don't want to chase her off the top of any jungle gym or spend my library time re-shelving books (my gas tank is empty anyway).
Oh, did you think we used passwords for security purposes?
School is going quite well.  We do enough to keep us busy, but not so much that we don't have time to play.  Their play is so much more productive when they spend time learning every morning.
Abandoned science project. That spider was hard to kill-it took about seven hits.
The kids are doing so well with their swimming skills.  Mark takes them to the YMCA pool and teaches swim skills to each of them after taekwondo.  The lifeguard watched him teach for awhile and commented that he was going to use some of Mark's methods for his classes!  Fiona can now swim across the deep part of the pool, all by herself!  She is the youngest to swim in the shortest amount of time.  I think it only took Mark four sessions to teach her.  Evie can swim an entire pool length in crawl stroke and will be ready for swim team in the fall.
The girls still have to wear life jackets on the pond.  Secchi depth is like three inches and I'm not swimming anymore.  If they go down, it would be hard to find them.
I'm just hanging out, trying to stay cool and get as much done with my waning energy as I can.  This baby is not like Lula; she is quite active!  The more she moves (dances? fights?), the less energy I have.  I am 25 weeks along-only 15 left to go!
It's always a party with Lucky!
Lucky doesn't have a name yet, but we have a few favorites.  I'm in no hurry to name her.  Maybe we will wait until after she is born to choose her name!