Monday, January 27, 2014

Alaskan Adventure

This post is overdue.  Way overdue.  Like so overdue that if it were a library book, I'd pay a hefty fine when I gave it back!
At the slug races
A few weeks ago, my older sister called me from Alaska.  She was coming down for a quick visit because her grandmother was celebrating her 90th birthday!  Wait-how can my sister have a grandmother that isn't also mine? Because she is my half sister...but I never called her that growing up, she was just my sister that happened to have a different mom.  There was no way to have half a sister in my mind.  A sister is a sister, pure and simple.
Nap where you fall
My sister needed someplace to park her two kids during the "adults only" part of the party.  Of course the best place for kids to go is my house!  We have plenty of room, plenty of kid stuff, plenty of extra helping hands, and plenty of baby gates.  But when I agreed to watch the kids, I forgot that Mark would be gone at taekwondo with my four best helpers.  I would be home alone with a four year old, a three year old, two 1 1/2 year olds, and a fussy six week old.  If Heidi were as mellow as Lula was at this age, it wouldn't be too much of a problem.  But she isn't and I needed a new plan!
Lunch time!
I called our other sister, who has a son Daniel's age.  She was happy to come out for the day.  Who wouldn't want to get all the young cousins together for a few hours to play?  At the same time, I asked Mark if I could keep Evie and Fiona home from their taekwondo class.  Their cousin would be so lonely without some big girls to play with!  All in all, we had eight kids, ages eight years and younger.  It was a lot of fun!
Keegan's "smile" for the camera.  Better than Daniel's!
Couch full of cousins!
Three year olds left to destroy the furniture
Tracey and Lula
Fiona, Evie, and Keira

 The kids played and played and played.  We can't wait for our Alaskan cousins to come visit again!