Sunday, May 25, 2014

Daisy Day

Boys and Daisy Day.  Start HERE, in 2010, to see what Daisy Day is all about.  And then you can visit 2011 and 2012 and even 2013!

Looks like someone still loves me, although his love sounded a bit like a gruff, "Your Mother's Day present is me smiling on Daisy Day."  Good enough for me!

Shane didn't even bother picking a daisy.  He just held it.  He doesn't like letting the girls pick the daisies because he likes the way they look in the pasture.  They are pretty!


The two older boys had to get all this daisy picture stuff out of their system by running and wrestling.


I noticed that Ian managed to keep a hold of his daisies while he was giving Shane's face a grass bath.


But on closer inspection, you see that Ian was just holding on to his eye spliced rope with the monkey's fist knot at the end.  Ian has become the troop's knot-tying expert.
He is even making up his own knots!  (Go back up to the wrestling picture. You will see lengths of rope hanging out of his pocket. I love that. And now, a side story about knots: Evie and younger were playing parade with their stuffed animals and various wheeled toys we have.  They were having trouble keeping everything together, so Ian lashed all the stuffies in place and connected the cars using the proper knots.  He said Ami used to do thing like that for him when he was little, but she didn't know the right knots.)

Daniel enjoyed running around with his brothers and got in on the grass throwing too.  I had to trick him into smiling for this picture.  When I told him that boys who love their mama smile for Daisy Day, he threw his flowers on the ground and stomped on them:
I know he loves me as much I love him.  Which is so much our hearts hurt when we think about it.

While the boys were struggling with their kinder, gentler sides, the girls were happily weaving daisy chains and being agreeable:


They really are a nice balance.  I'm not saying that the girls are better than the boys though.  I celebrate every unique bit about them all.

Even our deer skull got in the spirit of things.  I've become quite fond of this skull.  Just finding something like this is rare.  But finding it TWICE?  Yes, it disappeared one night.  Right off the T-post for the clothesline.  I thought perhaps a cat knocked it down and then Jack reclaimed his bones and chewed it up.  Jack loves bones.  A few days later, I happened to be awake in the early morning and saw Jack prancing across the pasture with the skull gently held in his big pitbull jaws.  I called him to me and got the skull back!  I don't think he is going to fall for that trick again!  I think I'm going to hang it from the clothesline and use the antlers to hold socks or other delicates...wouldn't that be funny?

But where were the babies on Daisy Day? Both were sound asleep in their cribs. I probably should have been taking advantage of nap time to clean this place up; it often looks like a bomb went off in here.  But Daisy Day comes once a year and there will come a time when certain parties cannot be bribed to pose.  I plan to take advantage of every moment I can and enjoy the relationships I have with each of my kids.  The stuff will be on the floor when I get back!