Friday, May 30, 2014

Treasure

I thought this day would never come.  We actually read the very last chapter of Story of the World.  I felt a little choked up; I won't be reading this book again until Daniel is Evie's age and Lula is Fiona's!  Evie and Shane will be slogging away on independent study the next time I read this book.  Today's topic was the Spanish Armada and the war between England and Spain.
Sifting for treasure
I had a little "hands on" activity ready to go... 

I love the look of intense concentration on Daniel's face

I tossed a handful of jewels in the sandbox for Daniel and Lula...

Freeplay: Daniel decides to sort the jewels by shape.  I was pleasantly surprised!

...and then we painted little treasure chests and filled them with fake jewels.

Lula was happy with a piece of paper

The girls played and played with the jewels, and I even heard rumors of a pirate stealing some of Evie's jewels!  Then the kids went down to the pond for a swim...

The Spanish Armada
Sir Francis Drake and Lord Howard of Effingham
...which led to a "hands on history" activity that I actually had to stop.  The English were bombarding the Spanish Armada with mud balls and the Spanish didn't like it. 

I'm still a little surprised we made it through the whole book.  I remember when I first created my excel spreadsheet with all the little details and activities I wanted to do.  Every few weeks, I would update my spreadsheet and check off the chapters we read and activities we finished.  And now...well, we're done with history until next September!