Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Broken Window

Christmas was Christmas and the Downen family had a wonderful day filled with food and gifts.  Ian was thrilled to receive throwing knives from Santa.  One might raise an eyebrow at a twelve year old boy asking for throwing knives, but we all know that Ian has experience throwing sharp objects at targets...

Only for some reason, Ian "misjudged his distance" and "had a wild throw" and broke a window!
He threw the knife OVER the plywood and into the window behind the woodsheds.
Ian is darn lucky his dad was home.  I would have skewered him and roasted him if Mark hadn't come to his rescue.  As he was once a boy himself, he understands that boys break windows and learn important lessons from those broken windows. After all, a boy outside breaking windows is not a boy inside playing video games.  (But you should have seen Ian's face. I've read about blood draining from a person's face in times of trouble.  This was the first time I'd ever witnessed it.)

All patched up!
Mark fixed the hole with packing tape since he had drained his savings account just a few hours prior buying a Christmas/birthday present for me.  I yelled at Ian, "I am very ANGRY with you right now, but I FORGIVE you because I LOVE YOU LIKE CRAZY!"  Did I mention he had a friend over?  Then I hugged him, right in front of his friend.  Punishment served.

I'm trying to figure out how far back he stood and how hard he threw it to get over the woodsheds and into the window.
I had a sentimental moment when I checked the damage.  Mark had left the ladder and the tape right where he had used them, proving that he was his father's son and his son's father all at one time.  Three generations of Downen men have been leaving their tools where they've used them and I have had the pleasure of loving them all.