Sunday, May 8, 2016

Bye-bye Butterfly

Daniel isn't one for forming attachments to things, so a butterfly kit was a perfect birthday present for him.  Over the last few weeks, he watched his caterpillars eat and grow, form crysallids, and then emerge as painted lady butterflies. He is a natural born scientist, so when I let him know we needed to let them go so they wouldn't starve, he asked how long they could live without food.  I don't know the answer to that question, so he wanted to experiment and find out.  Sorry, starving animals to death is not something we do in this family.


He wasn't trying to be mean, he just wanted to know.  He planned on burying it with a full funeral when he was done, just like Fiona did when she found a dead frog.

Action shot!

Once upon a time, I planned elaborate unit studies around these kits.  I have a book with projects and everything.  The first time we had caterpillars, I got the flu.  The second time we had more fun, only because my kids were older and I got greedy with the school's money.  Now, I'm over organized learning.  I'll write about that some other time, I promise.


And just like that, all the butterflies flew away! Enjoy your freedom!