Friday, March 10, 2017

Spring Season

We are slowly working our way into a Spring Season of Insane Activities.  Ian has track, Boy Scouts, and youth group.  Shane has orchestra, Boy Scouts, and Sea Scouts.  Genna has vaulting.  Fiona has softball. Daniel has T-ball and Cub Scouts.  And everyone except Ian has taekwondo.  Shane will be starting track next month.  Coordinating drop offs and pickups is something Mark and I have to work out every single morning.  And heaven help us if something goes wrong.

For example, take today.  We needed to drop Shane off to meet his carpool at 1:00.  Drop Genna off at vaulting at 4:00.  Pick Ian up from track at 4:30.  Take Fiona and Daniel to soft/T-ball practice at 5:00 (PTL it was the same time, same field), Daniel's practice ending at 6:00, Fiona's at 6:30. Pick Genna up at 7:00.  Meet Shane sometime between 7:00 and 8:00, depending on what time his leader got finished and carpooled him home.  We also needed a few things from Costco, some flock food, Mark wanted to spend some time at the YMCA and I needed to go to work on Fox Island.

We had the most beautiful, coordinated schedule that had us each taking only one trip into town.

Shoe stuck in the mud in the first five minutes of ball practice

I met Shane's carpool on time and found out that his leader forgot that she had something to do afterwards and that she would arrange to have someone else bring him back to this side of the bridge and she would call with more details later.  Okay, no problem.  I headed to work with Fiona and younger (while Mark planned to take care of Genna and picking Ian up and taking him to the YMCA with him).  I was productively working on Fox Island when I received the following text:


Note the time- 2:26.  This was not part of the plan.  Track isn't over until 4:30! I frantically called Mark and finally got a hold of him and sent him running out the door.  Mark waited and waited and called me to say Ian was no where to be found, which is when I sent the last text in that series.  I finished what I was doing and headed out to baseball, passing Mark going over the Purdy bridge.  He gave me a thumbs up, which I interpreted that he found Ian, but I didn't see him in the car.  I called Mark and found out that he had gone out on the field and saw that Ian was doing track and we had no idea why we would send a text like that!  I took Fiona and Daniel to soft/T-ball practice (with the youngest three slipping and sliding in the cold mud), where I got a phone call from Shane's ride saying they were going to be at the Park n Ride at 5:45!  I told them to just drop Shane off at the YMCA (praying that Mark had finally found Ian and they were actually there). Then my battery died before I could get the driver's phone number.  Luckily, I had my work phone, so I started texting Ian and Mark and also calling and leaving messages.  Texting with a flip phone is hard.

Mark and Ian had decided to meet back up with each other in the YMCA at 6:00 and check their phones for messages from me and they just ran into Shane.  Thank goodness.  All is well that ends well and the moral of the story is.... keep your battery charged and your phone on your body!