Monday, March 23, 2009

The Water Cycle

Back to School! After taking two days off last week, the kids had a hard time working their brains up to sitting and focusing. I reminded them that they had no problem sitting motionless while watching each other play video games, yet five minutes of math drove them (and me) absolutely batty.

For science, we are studying the water cycle. IJ is learning big words like evaporation, condensation, and precipitation. S is learning that we get a lot of rain here, but other places don't. After reading about the water cycle from four different sources, I decided to make rain. I boiled a pot of water and showed them how the water evaporated and asked them, "What big C-word describes what is happening on the lid of the pot?" IJ answered, "Connecting?" S answered, "Counting?" F said, "Ba!" I said, "No... How about condescending? Uh, darn, I mean, (sigh) Condensing?" And that is how my day is going.