Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Adam

Anyone else think Christmas Adam is the best day of the year?  I have a few presents wrapped and under the tree, a little gingerbread cookie dough made and in the fridge, and many many plans to catch up the in the next 24 hours.

First there is the matter of F's Christmas stocking.  Even hear of Second Sock Syndrome?  SSS is a common ailment among knitters.  We enthusiastically knit one sock, cast on for the second, get bored, and pack it away forever.  I've knit five Christmas stockings.

Four of my five hand knit Christmas Stockings
Last year I was unable to muster any enthusiasm, spirit, or desire to knit one for F.  I tried, but didn't get very far.  About a month ago I tried again, this time using different colors.  No such luck.  I went to JoAnn's and got new yarn and started up a new stocking...yesterday afternoon.  We'll just have to wait and see if I get it done by tomorrow night...

Three Unfinished Christmas Stockings


Step Away from the Knitting!

The next issue is Christmas Cookies.  Every year we have too many cookies.  Too much candy.  Too much frosting.  This year we are trying to cut down on the fat and calories.  By only cutting out some of the cookies and some of the candy.  I like making gingerbread cookies and a gingerbread house, but this year I used nuts and dried fruit instead of candy:

I used pumpkin and sunflower seeds, almonds, pecans, coconut, anise stars, dried bananas, cranberries, and blueberries.  I was going to let my kids help me, but I changed my mind.
 
This is my house. And no, just because I'm done doesn't mean you can start eating it, M!

Now, the presents.  We did a good job not going overboard.  I set up a gate around our little Cub Scout tree to keep F out of the presents.  It lasted a few minutes:

I wasn't kidding when I said she reached the age where she's in to everything!