Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Frozen Pond Part 2

We started our day today very early. I had to have the cats at their spay appointment by 8:00 this morning, so I had to wake the kids up at 6:00 and be out the door by 6:30! We watched the sunrise over Mt Rainer from the gang center of Tacoma. The Hilltop. What a yucky place to have to drag my kids just to save $100 per cat in spay costs. And we had to wait in a small waiting room with all sorts of crummy looking people with pit bulls for over an hour.

On the way home we were surprised to see that the Sound had frozen in places! In all my 30-some years of living around the Sound, I have never, ever seen moving salt water freeze. Tomorrow when I pick the cats up (even earlier than I dropped them off today) I will bring my camera and try to get a picture of the mini icebergs.

When we got home, I took IJ down to the pond. I tested the ice to see how strong it was before I let him go out. Here is My Husband's Pathetic Doberman trying to get her bottle: Was that mean to toss her bottle out on the ice to see if she would walk on it? Here are bubbles frozen into the pond. In real life you can tell they froze in layers. IJ insisted that I include this picture on the blog today: Here are some cool ice crystals emerging from the ground around the pond: And here is The Ice Man himself, who has now changed back into his shorts: The large crack behind him shows how far I could walk before the ice got too thin.