Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Building Atoms

The backup stopped last night with two days left to go, so M is giving me an opportunity to catch up on my digital pictures, blogging, and data entry.

We are working our way through REAL Science Odyssey Chemistry and the kids are really enjoying the labs.  But I think any kid would enjoy this:
Building atoms out of marshmallows! We are also making a giant periodic table of the elements on the floor.  The neutrons were regular marshmallows, the protons were coconut-flavored, and the electrons were mini marshmallows.  
"Can I eat some neutrons?"
F learned a lot about the parts of an atom.  She now calls all marshmallows trons. Unfortunately, we ran out of marshmallows when we were building so next time I will buy double than what was called for.  After we were done and the kids were dying to eat their creation that took so much energy to create, I quizzed the kids (E too) on vocabulary and gave them atom part rewards.
Let them eat...Atoms!
 And when we were really done, I scooped up all the atom parts and made Rice Krispie treats with Cheerios.  And just gave them forks to eat it with so I wouldn't have to cut them into squares.