Monday, November 14, 2011

Dinner With D

Those of you who are on facebook with me know that D climbed to the top bunk of the bunk bed this evening.  This was during my dinner rush, while I was madly trying to throw dinner together while all sorts of things were going wrong.  I abandoned dinner, pulled D off the bed, changed his stinky diaper, put a baby gate across the doorway to the girls room, came back to spoon Curried Pumpkin Soup into bowls to cool, and posted my update to clear my head.

Next thing I hear is a slurping noise.  I turn around and see D, with a bowl of orange-colored soup on the carpet.  He is drinking right out of the bowl and had soup running down his front.  I thought about just taking a picture, but good sense prevailed so I rescued the carpet and took the bowl away.  "Oh good, he likes his dinner.  I'll just put him in his high chair so he can eat."
Measuring spoons are better to eat with!
I had the brilliant idea of giving him a measuring spoon to use.  We have a plethora of baby spoons, none that do a good job with soup.  Measuring spoons are small enough for his little hands and mouth, but hold enough soup to be satisfying.
...or maybe not
But then more... toddler exploration critical thinking brain development exploring textures NONSENSE AND MESS ensued.
"Hmm, spitting my soup back into the bowl is fun!"
"I'm done eating now!"
"Pathetic Doberman, clean up in the kitchen!"
And one last thing to push me to end dinner early and not even worry if anyone else eats...
D calls this Tap Dancing in My Dinner
There is only one solution to this problem.  Assign S to D duty.  They can drive each other crazy all evening while I finish up math with IJ and E.  I feel better already.