Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Dirt on Breakfast

This morning I fed my kids pudding for breakfast.  It wasn't just pudding...it was Banana Cream Pie Rice Pudding.  Which is just vanilla pudding mixed with rice and banana slices.
I had two old bananas that were too brown to eat (if you are a kid), leftover brown rice from last night's dinner, and more dozen eggs sitting on my counter than I can count (M and I added a few pecans too)!  The only questionable ingredient in pudding is white sugar.  How much sugar is appropriate for breakfast?
My recipe for Banana Cream Pie calls for 2/3 cup of sugar for the pudding portion.  This averaged to 1.8 tablespoons per person.  Is that too much?
Considering that my children were completely full after one bowl and some couldn't even finish, I would say it was not too much.  Kix may be lower in sugar per serving- 1 1/4 cup has 4 grams of sugar, about one teaspoon.  But the sugar amount per sitting for my children has more sugar because they'll eat 2 or 3 giant bowls...and be hungry an hour later.  And I'm not counting the sugar in the banana, just the white sugar.
If I think of just the calories alone...well, 1.8 tablespoons is not even 90 calories and I don't think they would have a problem burning that, would they?  So bring on the rice pudding!  It's cheaper, more filling, lower in sugar, higher in protein, and it uses leftovers!  Hooray!