Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Comfort of Routine

I have tried many times to have an established routine, but my life keeps changing.  I'm getting used to having a life that constantly ebbs and flows...
Happy Birthday, Mark!
One thing I'm really enjoying is having coffee with Mark on the porch in the morning.  Mark just had a birthday and I bought him a new espresso machine!  The sun comes up earlier and earlier (and so do the roosters) this time of year, so Mark is up early, early, early.  He comes out and makes coffee and turns on the classical music.  The kids have been staying up too late at night, so they sleep until at least 9:00 AM.  I'm loving spending a few hours with just Mark and a handful of early risers (Daniel, Heidi).
I wanted her to smile, so I said "Say cheese!"  The fun of signing toddlers!
Another routine I'm (finally) getting used to is Mark taking the older four to taekwondo and leaving me at home with the three younger.  Last summer I spent a lot of time feeling sorry for myself and watching Little House on the Prairie, but now I spend the time playing with Daniel, Lula, and Heidi.  That's why I burnt dinner tonight, by the way.
Heidi happily taking her solid foods now.  I like to feed her something right before I make dinner (or right before I eat dinner), so she doesn't bug me so much.  So far she has sampled squash, carrots, pears, green beans, and chicken.  Gerber has added these animal lids to their jars:
Cute, right? I don't know why they put animals on the lids.  Maybe so you have something to talk about while spooning yucky processed veggies into their mouths?  I've seen panda, elephant, reindeer, whale, cat, dog, horse, and even penguin.  I think it's creepy...
"I'm eating WHAT?"
...because it looks like I'm feeding Heidi pureed Panda and pureed Elephant.  And those are endangered species!