Thursday, September 3, 2015

Blooper!

Our first week is a week of grace.  I have a delicately balanced schedule, but because PE doesn't start until the end of the month (forcing everyone to pay a month's worth of membership fees for two PE classes), we have some time to get used to the routine.  It is also good for us to know approximately how long it takes to get certain things done.  Like breakfast.  I have about an hour to go from super exhausted mom of a newborn to teaching first and second grade math concurrently.  Oatmeal can't take forty minutes to prepare.  Sorry guys, no more apple oatmeal.

Apple oatmeal? I won't eat that even though you spent 40 minutes making it!
And no more sitting in front of your bowl as long as you want.  I can't remember why Daniel was crying, but he certainly made our first day difficult.  From not wanting to finish his breakfast to arguing with me over what he will and won't read, he was super-concentrated ODD Daniel at his finest.  
And don't take my picture!
The light switch in the school room was broken, which didn't matter when it was sunny, but the first day we had rain and clouds.  Mark fixed the switch and replaced the light bulbs...and the light bulbs are supposed to mimic sunlight but look more like those long fluorescent light bulb tubes.  It hurts my eyes, so I guess we won't do school on rainy days (just kidding-I'm getting used to it).

You can almost hear the buzzing of the lights-but there isn'y any
On our first day of school, Heidi fell asleep face down on my lap (while standing).  I was busy holding Jason and teaching language arts, so she didn't have a place to curl up in.  She isn't the one that falls asleep standing up very often.  That's Lula's thing (Lula was probably sneaking outside to break branches off the fruit trees so she could reach the fruit).  But Heidi was super tired from cutting teeth and waking me up in the middle of the night, so I guess the face down position was appropriate.

How could she even breathe like that? (I had Genevieve move her to the couch)
Daniel's day got a whole lot better when he decided to do his handwriting in invisible ink from a spy kit his brother gave him.  See how proud he is?

I did do my j's. See?
I did make him go back over the invisible ink with the "reveal" marker and yes, his js were nice.

First Day: Complete, not too many bloopers.  It could have been worse I suppose...