Thursday, March 10, 2016

Kid Communication

I've banned a few words and added a new phrase to the Downen lexicon.

Shane builds a can telephone
One word I've banned is the easy come back, "So?"  As in "so what?"  I've asked the kids to think for a moment and use an acceptable substitution such as, "I disagree" or "I agree, however" and Mark's favorite "regardless."

Another is "Wait, what?" When a certain daughter of mine uses that phrase, she appears unintelligent, and we can't have that, can we? I've asked her to wait a moment to think of a complete sentence before speaking.  Such as, "Who is that in the picture before me, mother dearest?"

It worked.

The new phrase is Dead End.  This is what I say when I hear bickering back and forth.  All day long I hear these guys debating topics that are going no where.  When I say, "Dead End," they have to shut their mouths like the end of the road.

Did I mention we've turned off screens for awhile?  Now I can't remember why I thought it was a good idea...