Saturday, January 7, 2017

The Vanilla Lumberjack Guy

Just before Christmas I had to go to Costco and get a bottle of vanilla.  But guess what? Instead of the normal price (of like $7), the price per bottle was $19.99!!!!  I have never paid that much for Costco's vanilla, ever!  I went and found an employee to make sure the vanilla was labeled correctly.  This Costco employee was in his late 20's and was wearing a plaid shirt and had a full, nicely trimmed beard.  He looked just like a Millennial Lumberjack.  He checked the price and yes, that was the correct price.  I gave him a few of my thoughts on the matter and he just shrugged.  "You should see the price for butter," he said and he walked away. 

I must be getting old because that really steamed me.  You want to know what a REAL lumberjack looks like?


He's wearing plaid, he has a nicely trimmed beard, but you know what??? He actually cuts down trees.


Mark has been busy felling the trees that are dropping leaves into our pond and will be used as firewood the winter after next.


And check out his technique!  He is standing on a frozen pond, sawing a tree that fell in the water (but most was sticking out) and getting the wood in before the thaw that is coming tonight.  Sawing logs over liquid water is much harder because they....sink.


But to the child that thought throwing a piece of firewood out in the middle of the frozen pond... How are we going to get that piece back? The pond didn't freeze well enough to walk out there... I guess you'll be swimming for it!