Monday, July 17, 2017

Longcruise Pictures

Shane just came home from a week-long sailing trip on the SSS Odyssey.  He took a lot a fun pictures, some of which I'm sharing here.  But since there isn't much of a story except that Shane had a good time and he thought the pictures he took were cool...


The Odyssey

Pop Eye the Seal in Friday Harbor









He couldn't always remember where he was when he took pictures...


The Odyssey again
 They ran man overboard drills and had to be on anchor watch.  They also visited Vancouver Island, Canada.  Shane is the only person in the house with a Passport.





 The little boat above was rescued and hauled to shore by the crew. They notified the Coast Guard.

While Shane was gone, I ordered myself a new Instapot from Amazon.  From the moment I took it out of the box, I have had something cookin' in it.  I started right off with some turkey legs from the freezer.  I used the drippings for refried beans right after the legs were done (oh, the meat was so tender).  I scrubbed the pot and hard boiled about a million eggs in five minutes.  Then I made yogurt overnight and a batch of oatmeal the next morning.  While I was playing with oatmeal (not a good Instapot meal), Mark butchered three roosters and an old broad breasted turkey we kept just in case we could hybridize her with the heritage turkeys. Nope. She just gobbled down food and ate her own eggs.  I cooked those roosters and the turkey back in three batches, then ran their bones through two batches of stock (I got a total of 10 quarts of stock out of those bones).  As soon as the bones were dumped out for the dogs, I took some of the meat, some dried beans, some green salsa from the freezer that I made a year or two ago, a quart of stock and now I've got some chili verde in the pot that will be ready to eat when my activity goers get home!  And the kitchen stays COOL the whole time.  No steam, no boiling water, no oven, no hot stove.  I love playing with new toys!