Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thumbs Up to My Big Helper

My boys are focusing on doing one nice thing for their family for Taekwondo this testing period. Every class their instructor asks me if they have done one nice thing without being asked. This is a big deal. Most kids don't do what their asked, let alone what they aren't asked!

Last night I heard suspicious sounds coming from the bathroom. The water had been running too long. I could smell soap in the air. So I checked on S. Much to my dismay (and amusement) I saw the bathroom sink completely flooded to the top with water and all the hand towels, washrags, and clothing that had been left on the floor in the sink. There was water all over the counter and two brand new rolls of toilet paper were soaked. S looked up at me with a huge smile on his face and exclaimed, "Look Mom! I'm cleaning for you! I'm doing something nice without being asked! I'm even washing the dirty clothes!" There was NO WAY I was going to squelch his pride and happiness with remarks about what a huge mess he made or how I was going to have to throw the toilet paper away. I just hugged him and thanked him and helped him drain the sink.When M got home from his class (really, do we do anything but Taekwondo?) I told him the story with tears running down my face and trying not to laugh too loudly. M went straight into the bedroom where S was getting ready for bed and told him he gets THUMBS UP for helping. What a great dad. And what a great kid.

The kids are back to digging themselves a new home in the garden. Home, hole, whatever.

I took F out to experience dirt. Does she fit in with the rest of us? Of course she does, the little Wild Child!

Today our family had a big batch cooking day. M made a huge batch of beef stew for his dad with his new humongous stew pot (20 quarts!). My Big Helpers and I made lasagne! The total cost for three pans of lasagne was about $18. I've seen just the noodles at the grocery store for $3.99 a box, so when I saw a ten pound box of lasagne noodles for $10 (at my new favortive bulk discount store), I just had to buy it. My little helper, E, cracked one egg for me and ate a giant noodle. My Big Helper (and Padawan), L, was my second set of hands for the afternoon. She held F, opened cans, found my cook book for me, made tea, and read the recipe out loud for me. And she took this great picture of me, acting very silly (but excited!) at the size of these huge restaurant-sized noodles. Rock On! My freezers are absolutely packed to the doors with Easter meat sales, batch cooking, and who knows what else.