Thursday, July 16, 2009

Pond Scum

Look who joined her brothers in the Pond Master Club!The Pond Master Club is the group of kids that can swim out to the center while wearing a life jacket. The members have code names. S is Swimmer Man. E is Sea Dragon (and sometimes The Long-Haired Octopus). I don't know what IJ's name is.

When I'm not unpacking boxes, I'm thinking about the upcoming school year and what subjects I want to teach. This week my focus has been science. I've decided that one of our major themes will be Discovering Our New Home. But why wait until September? Here is one discovery: Rough-Skinned Newts!

And this is my little Scientist-In-Training examining the sample he took from the pond: And depositing his find into a sample bottle: The boys have learned about water skaters, water boatmen, blood worms, and the composition of pond detritus.