Sunday, September 13, 2009

Homeschool History

This is the second year we are using The Story of the World by Susan Wise Bauer. This series really clicks with IJ. History is his favorite subject (after reading). I also use the activity books that go along with the readings and check out the recommended books from the library. That is why I find this:
The Story of the World has an easy version of Beowulf that I read out loud to the boys. I dug up my dramatic past and had the boys mesmerized. Even S was hooked. And when I got to the part where Beowulf twists Grendel's arm off, their eyes almost popped out of their heads!

One of the benefits of homeschooling my kids is I get to fill in the gaps left by my public school education. All I remember about Beowulf was that he wasn't really a wolf! And the teacher's classroom was so hot and her perfume so stinky that all I wanted to do was sleep. And the scariest girl in my grade sat right behind me.

M and his dad stayed up late on Saturday night to watch Beowulf and Grendel with me. I have to say, once you know the original story line, go watch this movie! I had to hide under a blanket during the scary and gross parts, but the movie really brings these characters to life. Grandad thinks the boys might be ready for the movie in a few years and I think over my dead body! Good movie for people who like history and literature and can stand appropriate (for the story) violence. But not good for boys.