Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Walking in the Dark

Every evening either M or I needs to go outside, in the dark, and close up the chickens for the night so the raccoons don't eat them.
When I go, I usually I wait until the kids are in bed, grab a flashlight (or head lamp, which ever is more convenient) and Pathetic Doberman, and head out into the dark.  I get a little spooked out there.  But I know that Pathetic Doberman will chase off any scary wild animal...or domestic cat.

Every night, as soon as it starts getting dark, the chickens know they need to get back to their coop to roost.  I have no idea how they know this.  It's just they way God made them.  Even if they have been free-ranging all day long, they still come back to their yard.  If a chicken escapes the pen and doesn't get put back in before dark, she will roost under the coop-as close to the door as possible.  This is when I have to get a long stick and prod her out to where I can reach her.  She is always very sleepy and confused when I shove her in the door.  Once we accidentally locked them all out of the coop and I had to shove 30 sleepy confused chickens in their door.  I think they slept piled on top of each other all night.

Tonight, D and I went out together to close the chickens without a flashlight or a dog.  It was very spooky.  D was uncertain because it was dark, so I talked to him as we walked.  I couldn't see where I was going and I had to just trust my instincts... just like the chickens do.  I had to find my way to the coop and back by remembering where the compost container, fences, fruit trees, old tree stumps, and random toys and tools where.  I chatted with D that he had no idea where I was going, but he could trust me to get him back to the house safely.  And then I had my profound thought (or was it God speaking directly to me?).  I just have to trust God will guide me on my path, and even though I have no idea where I'm going, He does and He will get me to where I need to be, even though I'm sometimes spooked (uncertain?) along the way.

And that was when the domestic cat jumped out of the shadows and scared me!