Tuesday, September 6, 2011

First Day...

...finally!  We are still missing quite a few books that were ordered two weeks ago and the arts and crafts supplies, but we survived. I planned to start school promptly at 9:00 this morning.
IJ works on his South America map
At 8:30, I thought to myself, "Why wait? I should get a head start so I don't freak out when I get an interruption."  *Sound of breaking glass*  "Mom? Did you hear that?  S broke a plate and its all over the floor and he's barefoot and standing on a chair!"  Corelle plates may be break-resistant, but when they break, they shatter!  I spent that 30 minutes running my hand over the kitchen floor and vacuuming invisible shards of glass out of my shoes.
E and S work on their maps.
At 9:00, we started school with a prayer, The Pledge, and a map of South America.  And non-stop screeching from The Baby is the Lesson. He wanted pencils.  He wanted school boxes.  He wanted to color on the Atlas.  He wanted up.  He wanted down. (I think he had a tummy ache- he's been asleep for 3 hours now)
D smells the flower.
My 3/4 preschooler had much better behavior.  Of course her school work was right up her alley.
F colors her Cinderella book.
We make it through history (Simon Bolivar), geography (South America),  PE (Simon Says and Smile Toss), read aloud (Moccasin Trail), math (IJ only), recess (picking blackberries and holding roosters), Lunch (mac n cheese), language arts (individual), and science (early inventions).  At 3:00, we have:
Abandoned School Table
Beyblades (S) and Horses (girls)
First night of Scouts, ready to go
Dinner on the stove, laundry on the line
And just when I think we are back to "normal," S gets his tonsils removed tomorrow.  And for the record, I wasn't kidding about D and F.  Enjoy this nine second slice of my morning: