Thursday, September 5, 2013

Daniel's School

In a homeschool where the oldest student is preschool-aged, you find lots and lots of story books and enrichment worksheets and handwriting papers and yes, even science experiments.  I know when Ian was a preschooler, he had his very own desk and workbooks and part of our playroom was dedicated to school.  I certainly didn't want any of my non-homeschooling mom friends to think Ian was neglected in any way by not attending the $150 per month preschool!

Ian's reading lesson at age 4
In a homeschool where there are a mix of ages, things are a little...different.  Mama is a bit more relaxed about worksheets and structured desk time, but sometimes she doesn't get around to story time either...I know I have neglected story time for Fiona and Daniel for the last year or so.  Now that I don't have to worry about meeting time and goal requirements for the school district, I can relax a bit and feel like I can carve a chunk out of the morning just for preschool fun.  I'm on a few email lists for different homeschool companies, but one day I received one that changed the homeschool landscape for my most difficult child.
Intense
Paige, from Elemental Science, has created a plan to keep her 3 year old son involved with the homeschool, but with activities that are not too strenuous.  She has invited other homeschoolers to join her in her efforts to teach her son colors, shapes, and ABCs.  I offered to blog along, just for fun *grin*  I do, after all, have a three year old son that asks to do "school," although I wouldn't actually call it asking...demanding is more his style!  Daniel already knows his shapes and colors, but having some special activities just for him can't do him any harm, now can it?

Coloring Circles
The first section has been dedicated to the color red and the shape circle.  I read The Little Red Hen, Minerva Louise and the Big Red Truck (I love this series), and Big Red Barn.  These books were received favorably, especially The Little Red Hen, but I cannot say the same for Red Knit Cap Girl.  "That's stupid AND dumb," says Daniel.  The science activity was to describe a red apple, cut it in half, and see that it was circle-shaped.  We have already eaten all the "rosy red" apples off our trees, so when Daniel was in a snugly mood, I asked him what shape an apple would be if we cut it in half.  "Circle!" he said in his most bored voice.  Oh, he is going to be fun to homeschool!  Next up...yellow!