Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Chickens

Another spring, another batch of meat chickens are in my freezer.


I told Mark right from the beginning of this project that I would be far too pregnant to deal with chicken butchering this year.  I just wanted to buy chicken and not even deal with a pregnant belly leaning up against a butcher table. 

Mark was able to butcher and process all 18 chickens with Shane, Evie, and Fiona's help in one day.  Those three kids were amazing workers!  Daniel started with them, but the smell was too much for him.  Ian got out of butcher duty by getting invited to an air soft event.  I stayed indoors with the three younger kids and the dogs.  But I didn't completely get out of butcher duty.  I packed the quartered chicken pieces with my Food Saver and boiled the rest of the meat off the bones.  It was a long day!