Saturday, May 2, 2015

Marshmallow Molecules

I have been working very hard at keeping up with all the different school needs, which means I've been putting other things on the back burner for later....things like blogging.  That is why you will see a bunch of new posts pop up on a Saturday morning.  Part of "getting it all done" can sometimes mean that we have to finish our school work on a Monday evening after dinner while Ian is at youth group.

After a day in the sun, do chemistry in your bathing suits.
The last time we built molecules for chemistry, we used gumdrops.  And as much as I love gumdrops, I needed something a little less expensive for this number of kids.  We used multicolor marshmallows, which are quite fruity, and toothpicks. 

Water and methane

My minor was in chemistry, only because I needed two years of chemistry classes and four years of dance classes for a dance minor (can you imagine? "Hello, I have a Bachelor's of Science in Environmental Science with a minor in dance. Hire me).  I only had one more year to accumulate credits and I only needed one more chemistry class for a minor, so chemistry it was.  The great thing about have a whole year of organic chemistry is knowing how the atoms fit together.  I have no trepidation when I need to teach my kids how to build an ethanol molecule.  Marshmallows, however, are not the best molecule building material.  They are too soft, so we followed up with air dry clay that we will (someday) paint.

Would you like a cup of water?
As soon as we were done building our molecules, we ate them.  Delicious! Too bad Ian missed out!