Friday, February 12, 2016

Sick Baby Jason

Early Tuesday morning, Jason woke up at 3AM with a hot fever. He's my 8th kid, so fevers don't freak me out too much.  I don't take temperatures anymore. I can basically guess that a fever is low grade, hot, or too high.

After 24 hours.... I start to worry....just a little bit.....

It could just be teething....he does gnaw viciously on my finger when the medicine wears off.  It could be the flu... he does throw up his baby Tylonel and either what he does swallow is upsetting his stomach or he has diarrhea.....half the other kids have been complaining about an upset stomach.... 36 hours and still hot.....

I start to question my no-doctor-visits-for-a-virus policy..... they just send me home with new germs...and it seems like just when I break down and call, the fever breaks.... but could it be ear infections? He hasn't been congested at all though.... 48 hours......

He keeps moaning-it's his comfort sound that he makes when he wants to sleep, but now that he is sick, he makes it with every breath.... He hasn't left my arms since he first came down with this fever... we've been sleeping on the couch..... 60 hours....

It could be roseola. We've gone through it seven times so far.  I remember when Ian got roseola, I thought the fever was teething, but then the rash appeared and I got really worried.  My mom reassured me, "Oh, it's probably just roseola..." and sure enough, I looked it up and it was.  When Charlie had it, I said the same to Ami, "Oh, it's probably just roseola...." and sure enough, it was.  But this fever is hot.....and even the 8th baby is a precious baby..... 66 hours....

...and I start yelling at my other kids.  "If this fever doesn't break soon, I'm going to have to take him to urgent care! He is too little to have a fever this high for this long! Quit bugging me and be helpful!"

And....72 hours....the fever breaks and the poor baby sleeps peacefully all night long.  And sure as shootin' the rash breaks out today.

And, it was just roseola.