Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Do The Next Thing

1. Preserve the Harvest
2. Clean the House
3. Educate the Kids
Genevieve foraged for nuts and is preparing them for storage

When I get frustrated, I recite the list.  The house will be clean as soon as the turkeys and fruit are processed. The kids will start school when the floors are vacuumed. 

Lula created a siphon and drained a bottle of water through a plastic tube. All on her own.

I have one more batch of pears that we are finishing up.  Three turkeys are in freezer camp and I canned their stock with my new pressure canner.  Tomorrow the rest of the turkeys get butchered (and more stock will be produced) and maybe then I will get to the rest of the apples...

G practices her "mom" skills: baby under the arm, rescuing older child from drowning. She's good.
I'm hiding this last paragraph under and behind the "jars in my pantry post" because sometimes a mom has to hide little things for herself.... Ian's team lost its second game last night and Ian was injured by a player the outweighed him by 100 pounds.  He came limping in house from the injury he received, cleaned up his bloody elbow without complaining, went to bed, and was up and ready for school on time.  He is going to have to sit out in PE and football practice after school, but he won't complain.  On the one hand, I'm super worried and I wish he would have let the coaches know how badly he was injured. But on the other, I'm glad he has perseverance and isn't using his injury as a reason to bow out of responsibility.  It's complicated, isn't it?