Sunday, September 4, 2016

I Think I Can

I haven't been enthusiastic about canning for many years.  I honestly can't remember the last time I canned seriously, but I'm pretty sure it was before we moved here.  Back then I mostly used pint and half-pint sized jars.  This year we have a bumper crop of apples and pears.
The Jonathan Tree
I've only cleared off two trees so far and we've frozen a few gallons (no, I'm not kidding gallons) of applesauce.
Toddler helper = bites out of each apple
 I filled three 5-gallon buckets with windfall apples and turned those into cider...

Precious Cargo
Two gallons of cider are in the freezer for a special occasion (Christmas and Easter?).  One was happily consumed.  Nothing beats these Jonathan apples for fresh cider.  I may just buy my own press for next year (although it was kind of fun pressing with other people-I just don't like bringing my kids other places where I need to watch them, but I need to work).


When I unpacked my jars and realized I had less than a dozen quart jars, I had to go buy more.  With a family this size, there is no way a pint of applesauce will feed everyone.  Quarts or bust.  I brought home five cases.

The green jar is actually a blue jar with yellow applesauce

I broke one quart jar, so used the lid on a pint
Apple butter (brown) mixed with apple sauce (pink)
The real fun part is the different colors of the applesauce.  Each batch has its own ratios of Jonathan (red peels) to the other kind with yellowish/greenish peels (Granny Smith we think). As I run out of applesauce filling jars, I start another batch, so sometimes the jars have a zebra effect. 

So far, I have 30 quarts of applesauce and butter, plus more in the fridge.  Tomorrow I can pears.  I couldn't do a project like this if it weren't for the help I get from Genevieve and Fiona.  They took turns being buddies with the littles while I worked.  They also helped shake the trees and pick up all the apples (Daniel help too).  We truly have reached the Golden Age of Large Family FUNctioning.