Saturday, January 31, 2009

Problem Solved

S is back to normal. And by normal I mean this: Thursday, S experience the birth of 80 baby brains in his head. Apparently, they are invisible, but adorable. I can't see them, but I can kiss them before S puts them back into his head. I love it when kids start using their imaginations.

Yesterday I we had a well baby check up for F. I needed to leave the house at 8:00am to be there by our 8:30 appointment. Now, S is very dependable about being up and asking for "powwidge" by 6:00 every morning. But not yesterday. I woke up with a start at 7:20 and realized that this was the one morning S slept in. But we were ready to go, five minutes early!

F is 19 1/2 pounds. She is perfectly healthy, engaging, and social. She got two vaccinations. Doctor's appointments are really boring. Unless you bring all the older siblings with you. Then you have things like this happen (and for the sake of clarity, I have used D***** as our last name):

The D*****'s are at the doctor's office, all sitting on the floor reading a book together while the baby nurses. Doctor comes in.
Doctor: Well, Hi! It looks like we've got a bunch of D*****s in here!
IJ: Yep! D***** Dirties! That's us!

Remember when I took IJ in for his Five Year Old well check up? The one where he said guns will keep him safe around a campfire? Sigh... But they also had their redeeming moments. S asked if he could listen to F's heart with the doctor's stethoscope. He listens for a moment, turns to the doctor, and says, "Hey! It sounds like a pump! It sounds like her heart is pumping blood all over her body!" The doctor looks like he is going to die from happiness. A child who truly appreciates the fine art of medicine!

But I have to say, the best part of my day yesterday was scoring a bunch of children's books (that are scheduled for homeschool) from Value Village for the low low price of 11.04. At 69 cents each, with a buy-three-get-one-free deal, I was stoked. As was IJ, who is now reading Harry Potter, on his own, for fun.