Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Seventh Heaven

IJ is seven years old! We've tried to teach the kids that birthdays are for spending time with friends and not about getting presents. I've done a few birthday parties in the past, but when I do, I feel like I'm feeding the insane cycle of greed and want and waste... So instead of a party, we had a hike with the Cub Scouts and all their siblings and two of IJ's closest friends. I wish I brought my camera, but for some reason I never do. But I know my dear friend did, so as soon as she emails some pics to me I will post them (hint, hint). Afterwards, one friend came over for strawberry shortcake and ice cream. Now, this one friend has three brothers that came with him, so we had a total of eight kids at the table! What fun!
And then Dad came home bearing surprise presents! IJ got a new bike (he has been the same small bike since he turned four) and a new watch! We got to hear, "Its 3:38. Okay, now its 3:39," or a variation of that for the rest of the evening. So, for a kid who lives with a weird family who doesn't like to focus on presents, he got a lot of great things from his friends and family. He pronounced this birthday the BEST he has EVER had!