Friday, May 15, 2009

Soccer Mom

Okay, friends, its confession time. Yes, I'm confessing something personal online on a blog, which is so silly. But I don't have anything else to write about today.

I'm a soccer mom.

But not one of those who drives around town in a minivan. Oh nevermind. I do that. Okay, I don't holler at the kids while they're playing, "Pass the ball! Defend your goal!" Oh darn. I did that today too. Okay, I've got one! I don't bring orange slices and water bottles! Hah! See? I'm not a Soccer Mom! In the stereotypical sense at least...

I played soccer when I was young. And I hated running and I was scared of the aggressive players. I always played defense because that meant I didn't have to run all over the field. I could do cartwheels or pick flowers while the rest of my team ran all over the field. And when those aggressive girls came charging down the field to make a goal...I would kick the ball as hard as I could in any direction just so they would get away from me. I didn't like the aggressive girls crashing into me and kicking my legs instead of the ball. I didn't like the way they elbowed me so they could get the ball.

Today, when it was time for the parents to go out on the field and scrimmage with the kids, IJ begged me to come out and play with him. I really didn't want to go. For two weeks I used F as my excuse to not play. Last week I had the wrong shoes. Today IJ made sure I was wearing the right shoes before we left the house. I don't want to teach my kids to be poor sports or lazy or bad attitudes, so I acted cheerful when it was time to play.

But then I had to run. And my body does not at all work the way it used to! I may have had good shoes on, but I definitely needed support in others! So I claimed the postion of Goalie. No running. Hah! I really enjoyed playing with the kids. Until the kids-who-don't-like-running wanted to play goalie. And I didn't want to give my spot up and run. But I had to, especially when they said something about sharing and playing fair. So I played defense again.

And then SHE came. The aggressive girl who wanted to make a goal. The kind that kicks your legs (on accident) and elbows you! The one that is so focused on playing and winning that she just doesn't notice the rest of the kids are scared of her. I was scared of her. I felt like I was 9 years old again (we are to the confession part now). And then...... I kicked the ball as hard as I could down the field.... and realized that I am way taller than she is, I weigh far more than she does, and I'm way older than she is.... and I wasn't scared! I had fun! I decided that she was a good player and needed to develop skills playing against me that she wouldn't have a chance to develop playing little kids (who were playing rock-paper-scissors instead of soccer). I really enjoyed blocking her goals. And when I whispered to her, "Watch my goalie. He always throws the ball to that adult over there. Intercept it next time." and she did and she looked over at me and grinned.... well then. That was the best soccer mom moment I have ever had!