Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sergin's General Warning

Clever, clever me.  Clever title, clever projects.  I have been busy creating useful items with my new serger...all while reducing my fabric storage and saving the world, one scrap of fabric-staying-out-of-the-landfill at a time.  Warning!  I'm having fun!  Which means I'm less likely to keep up with my other responsibilities!  I'm posting pictures of some of my projects, but keep in mind when my camera's battery is dying, the pictures end up with funky lighting...
His and Hers Lambswool Hats
I took an old sweater that had been given to me (by a gal who bought some wool pants I knit), cut it up, and made these awesome soft hats for M and E.  The sweater was wonderfully light, lofty, soft, and oh so warm! And not itchy at all!  M loves his new hat and wears it in the house most evenings.  Yes, it is sometimes that cold in here, but I'm a human furnace right now and M is a cold weeny. The sweater was originally for wool pants, but F has enough.  Saving-the-World Fact: This sweater would never be worn by anyone in my house and probably would have ended up being eaten by moths and going to the dump.

Speaking of F, this one was my best idea (today):
Towel Poncho
I have the hardest time keeping towels on my little streaker.  She just isn't old enough to hold her towel around her when she gets out of the bath.  I cut a T-shaped hole in the center of a very, very, very old towel and put it on my wet baby, I mean, toddler as she ran naked through the house.  Later I will find the matching hand towel and attach a hood with my serger.  It should take about two minutes.  Saving-the-World Fact: These towels are so old and falling apart that they should have been sent to the dump about ten years ago.  And no one in this house has ever been able to get rid of anything useful.  So I have a whole giant closet so full of towels that my large family could use each towel once for a whole month and I would never have to do laundry.  And none of the towels are in good enough shape for Goodwill.  Now one more towel has a purpose again.

I've been checking books out from the library all about repurposing old things creatively into new things to keep old things out of the landfill and reduce the consumption of resources by not purchasing new materials.  Most of the projects in the books use old things from the 1960s, now considered vintage, and making them into cool 1960s-like items.  Yuck!  I live in a 1960s house, with all original 1960s things!  Why would anyone want to bring that stuff back?  Turning old towels and pillowcases into bathmats? Ew! Ugly! Using an old table cloth to make a picnic blanket or curtains or pajamas?  No thanks! Although I do like the idea of pillow case sundresses...I'll just use pretty pillowcases from Goodwill (if I ever make any) instead of old yucky orange ones from the 1960s...and I won't use rick rack or pom pom edging!!!  Thank goodness I already gave some 1960s-lover the gift of a huge pile of old sheets over the summer when we moved here- just go to Goodwill!

Stay tuned for more fun projects!