Friday, August 20, 2010

Random Dishwashing Thought

I'm supposed to be doing the dishes.  I started to unload the dishwasher and I noticed how wonderfully shiny my dishes are!  And it's all because I'm finally done with that giant bucket of detergent I bought at Cash n Carry back in our old home town over a year ago.  That stuff was awful!  Now I've started using the boxes of store brand dishwasher detergent I bought when the county passed that stupid law about phosphorus.  I bought every. single. box. of 6% phosphorus detergent they had because I knew that when it was gone we would be stuck buying the expensive tablets or that "natural" stuff that doesn't work.

Why was phosphorus banned?  Because the phosphorus-laden waste water ends up in bodies of water because waste water treatment plants cannot remove the phosphorus.  But my house isn't on a sewer line.  I have a septic tank.  And my waste water with the phosphorus goes into my drain field, fertilizing my grass and gardens, not into the bay causing algae blooms.

Here's to another year of dishwashing!  Haha.