Saturday, October 13, 2012

Flag Football

IJ and Shane are playing flag football for the next eight weeks.  It's part of their What Every Boy Needs to Know regime.  They had their first game today and didn't do too bad considering they've had only two practices.  But what do I know? I'm the girl that faked illness to get out of football in PE.  All I remember is that you are supposed to catch the ball like it is a meatball sandwich: bring it lovingly to your side and don't spill the meatballs!
I love this picture of IJ because he is floating in the air and you can see his untied shoe lace flying out behind him.  I wonder if flag football is harder than tackle football.  In tackle football, you run and crash into whomever is holding the ball, but in flag football, you have to run, stop, and carefully grab the flags and tear them off without pulling the guys pants down.
This is probably how Shane scored a touchdown.  He was running with the ball, felt someone grab for his flags, and stopped running to see if his belt had been pulled off!  I yelled, "RUN, SHANE! RUN!" just like Jenny in Forrest Gump.  He started running and didn't stop until he crossed the goal line...and crossed the end line...and I thought he might keep running until he hit the fence!

Their team won, 24-18.