Monday, October 22, 2012

H is for Hatchery

Fiona's letter of the week is H and what luck! We Headed to the Hatchery for a field trip!  I promise, I am not making the letters line up with the activities.  Its just working out that way.  Fiona already knows her letters, but this has been a fun way to reinforce their sounds and where they appear in words.  She complains that she doesn't have any schoolwork, but she doesn't realize that she is living her learning right now.

The hatchery was as fun as it was last year.  We held the frozen dead things.
The big difference this year was the pouring down rain.  And getting to feed the baby coho.

When we climbed up onto the platform around the fish pens, I had a mini heart attack.  I worried that my keys would fall out of my pocket and sink to the bottom, never to be seen again.  I worried that my girls would get pushed in by an over-excited boy and they would sink to the bottom, never to be seen again.  I worried that I would drop Lula over the edge and she would sink to the bottom, never to be seen again.  I walked very very slowly and held on tight!  I breathed easier when we headed inside.
This was a cool machine that sorted live eggs from dead eggs.  The kids got to hold the eggs with little fish inside!  They could see their eyes and watch them swim around, just like Finding Nemo. 

So despite the rain, we had a good time!