Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Painting China

We got a little behind in school work last week when we took our trip up north...so we spent this lovely rainy day...
Not the best day to leave your boots on the stairs!
...catching up on grading math books and art projects! 
Turtle-themed plate
The activity guide that goes with the history curriculum suggests making clay bowls with air dry clay and painting them with acrylic paints to look like Ming porcelain.  I instead purchased a set of ceramic dishes from the second-hand store and we painted them with porcelain paint.
Some used more paint than others *smile*
 I got "painter's" block right when we started, so I went for the minimalistic style.

Home, household, family, school of thought
The best part of the project was pulling out some of our Ming-style tea cups that are stashed away.

The dark blue set with the gold dragon was brought here from China by a sailor*.  The set belonged to Mark's great-grandmother and Grandad remembered drinking tea out of it when he was a little boy.  This house is located about a mile away from the epicenter of the 2000 earthquake and amazingly, none of the china in this cupboard even cracked.  I haven't decided if earthquakes or being located in my school room is more dangerous!

 *I am not positive on these details, so I may edit later:)