Tuesday, October 23, 2012

H is for Home

In a few days, IJ, Shane, Lula, and I are heading north to visit some friends and family.  This time of year I always remember how hard it was on us, especially myself and IJ, when we moved here. I kept us busy with as many activities as we could handle, all so we could try to meet new people and feel connected and not feel the loss of our close friends.  I called up north Home and this place Back Here for the longest time.  As we prepare for a trip up north this week, we keep getting little reminders that we are now settled.  Twin Firs is Home.

My whole crew packed up today to take Evie to the dentist.  She needed her molars sealed.  The dogs were out of food and I wasn't sure when my Amazon Subscribe and Save delivery of dog food would be here.  Since I was going to be halfway to Costco anyway, I decided to go all the way to buy a bag of dog food to hold us over until my shipment arrived.  But then I couldn't find the debit card, so our trip to Costco was cancelled and the dogs would just have to starve another day.  While we waited for the dentist to call Evie back, the UPS man came in to deliver a package.  He saw me and said, "I have a package for you too, can I just leave it at your van?"

Wow.  That's a small town feeling right there, y'all.

And the dogs didn't have to starve!

In the waiting room of the dentist's office, there is a book all about the KP.  It is filled with color pictures about the community and all the fun events and organizations out here.  My three oldest kids love looking at the pictures and seeing familiar places...and faces!  They spotted two friends from Cub Scouts in the book today.

After Evie had been back with the dentist for a few minutes, my little ones got restless.  We walked around the sidewalk to the second-hand store, just to keep kids moving.  Evie's appointment was over so quickly that the hygienist just walked her over to where we were.  There aren't many places I would leave my children, but I love our little dentist office and all the staff there.  After Grandad died and we had our first appointment for cleaning, the receptionist shared sympathies and let me know she had cancelled Grandad's appointments, all without us having to say anything.

After my children were complemented on their behavior by the ladies who run the second-hand store, I rewarded them with a little snack from the market next door (and a coffee for me).  At the coffee stand, the barista knew me by name, asked about the baby and the other kids, how homeschooling was going... and I rarely go there!  It has been at least six months since I've stopped by that coffee place (mostly because it isn't a drive thru).  Happy sigh...I love small towns.

Thank you, God, for these little reminders!