Thursday, December 13, 2012

Tut's Treasures vs. The Terrible Twos

We finally went to the Pacific Science Center to see Tutankhamun: The Golden King and the Great Pharaohs.  Here is the story of how a regular two year old managed to ruin his mother's only chance to see the artifacts that are on display for the last time in North America.

It all started on the way to Seattle, when Daniel decided to join the car sick club (we're up to four members!).  It seems that every time we need to go somewhere in the morning, someone has to throw up in the car.  They usually outgrow it by the time they are 8 years old.  But they are the reason I don't like to travel without Ziploc bags.  And it's always oatmeal.
Shane and Fiona
We got to the science center on time, but we were told they made a mistake and we had to wait 30 minutes to get our tickets.  This gave me time to hand wash Daniel's shirt in the bathroom and try to dry it with paper towels.  I brought extra pants for him, but not an extra shirt.  I was amazed that he had managed to throw up down the inside of his shirt, even with his seat belt on. 
Ian and Lula
Then it was time to enter the exhibit.  I was pleased to see that we were in the first of three groups to go in.  We went through the three security checkpoints (no photography or video, food or drink) and were brought into a room where they shut the doors.  The guard explained that once we were in the exhibit, there was no exit.  Once you exit, you don't get back in.  At this point, Daniel started acting up.  I had an emergency exit plan in place.  I would take the three youngers out while Mark stayed in with the school aged kids.  But we hadn't even gone in yet and I already had a problem.  Mark gave me that look and hissed, "There is something seriously wrong with this kid.  He must be really sick!"  I hissed back, "If he is sick, there is no way I'm going to Ferndale to help Ami!"  He put Daniel down and I saw at once what his problem was.  I took him to the guard at the door and said, "We technically haven't entered the exhibit yet and my two year old needs to pee.  Can we come back with the next group?" He looked at me and looked at Daniel and hemmed and hawed and Daniel started to really dance...so he agreed and let us out.  Problem solved, right?

WRONG!

This is when Daniel and I played tug-o-war all the way to the bathroom.  "I want to stay with Daddy! I want to stay with Daddy!" he screamed while I argued, "No, you have to go potty!" while everyone in line stared at us.  In the bathroom we argued some more.  He told me to leave.  I left.  I asked if he was finished, he yelled, "NO!"  He missed his target and hit my skirt, the wall, and the floor and cried.  I tried to persuade him to go see Daddy again.  Nope.  He was in serious two year old stubborn denial.  And I was missing my field trip.
Evie and Daniel
We finally finished his business and got back into the exhibit.  I met Mark and the kids in the second of ten galleries.  Gallery sounds big and intimidating, but they were really just little rooms with dramatic lighting.  Daniel was happy to see his Daddy and behaved...for about three minutes.  Then he refused to move.  He didn't want to walk and he didn't want to be carried.  He wanted us to leave and he wanted to stay.  We managed to get him into a hallway between two galleries and then he flat out refused to budge.  Mark and I turned the corner and had a quick argument about hauling him kicking and screaming out of the exhibit.  We decided to send Mark on with the four older kids and I would stay hidden and watching until Daniel decided he wanted to join his family.  Normally in a store I walk away and expect them to make the right choice.  I don't beg, bribe, discuss, or reason.  I walk away.  But I couldn't do that there.  I would peek around the corner every few seconds and Daniel would be looking forlornly at the floor like a lost child.  Every few minutes, a concerned mother would look alarmed and mention something about calling security.  I was forced to peep around and admit that he was mine, which would give up my position to Daniel-and he dug his heels in deeper.  We were getting nowhere with this, so I went back to him and asked, "Do you want to go see dinosaurs or butterflies?"  (Remember, with two year olds you need to give them a choice, not a yes/no question...and anyone with a two year old can attest that any question can be answered with a NO!)  Daniel answers butterflies and we are on our way...for ten feet.  A gentle reminder about butterflies gets him going again and even all the way up the ramp to the important display.
Parents of the Year 2012
At this point we need to pass a security guard.  Daniel quits walking again and I leave him...again.  I tell the security guard that I'm leaving Daniel there until he can decide to walk with me and don't worry, I'm going to hide in the shadows behind him and not really leave.  The security guard, bless his heart, tries to play bad cop with a shiny badge with Daniel.  But Daniel doesn't have any knowledge or experience with cops with shiny badges and doesn't believe he needs to do what he says.  It was kinda fun watching this guy try to reason with a two year old.  Daniel totally won.

Next gallery, Daniel held my hand and walked five paces before he stopped walking and made me drag him for a few paces.  "You can't drag a child by his arm in public!" my husband scolded me.  "I can't spank him either! Come on, let me drag him kicking and screaming out of here! This is no fun! He has pushed me to the outer limits of my patience.  I have never been this far!!!"  Mark scoops him up and manages his wiggling and complaining while we make it through the last two rooms and leave.

Guess what Lula was doing this whole time? Sleeping peacefully and sweetly in the Ergo (thanks, Tracey).
Mark totally earned that candy bar!
We had some time to kill before our IMAX movie, so we headed to see the dinosaurs and butterflies.  In the lobby was a display of:
Guess what? We so totally have some of that stuff from when Mark came and saw the exhibit in 1978!  We have the book and a bunch of postcards, but the necklace is lost.
 Before we got to the dinosaurs (I remember when they were new in the 1980's), I warned Daniel.  "Watch out, Daniel. The dinosaurs are going to eat you!"  He saw one move and hopped right out of the stroller to run away.  Mark scolded me, but I said, "He totally deserved it."  A few seconds later he was saying hi to each dinosaur and introducing them to his Daddy and sister "Nina."
The Good Kids
After dinosaurs, I took Fiona and Daniel to the little kids area while Mark took the older kids to see the other exhibits.  Daniel was acting normal again and I watched him, trying and trying to refill my patience pitcher.
The last fun thing happened when the seagull tried to eat his sandwich and he screamed.  That seagull was persistent! Mark had to protect the little ones until lunch was over.  At this point we argued whether or not we would go to the IMAX movie.  I wanted to go, Mark didn't.  He didn't want to have to leave with Daniel in the middle of the movie or have him make a bunch of noise.  I didn't want to waste the money we paid for the tickets.  He won when he pointed out the movie started ten minutes ago and they don't admit late attenders.  At this point, we parted ways and I went to Ferndale and he went home...
I'm not going to take Daniel into public for a very long time.  Except for Zoo Lights.  And to see Santa.