Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Bygone Era {Nesting}

I'm counting down the days 'till my due date.  I've never done that before, but this time, well, I don't know why, but this last trimester has been miserable.  I'm tired, I'm achy, and I'm frustrated that I can't do all the cleaning/chores/projects I want to do.  It doesn't help that Mark sees me snoozing downstairs while stuff is piling up all over the place.  I want to nest.  I'm nesting inside.  But I can't breathe when I get moving and I get dizzy if I bend over to pick stuff up.  I think Lucky has been rearranging her living space over the last few days too because I have been feeling intense pressure in strange places anytime I change position.  Mark is feeling frustrated too and I'm pretty sure men nest when their wives hit that last month...

We had a less than stellar result when our drinking water was tested a few weeks ago.  Since then, we have treated our well and tried to figure out where the source of contamination is.  One possibility is the fort that has been sitting next to our well for more years than I know.  The fort was built by Grandad and used by both Mark and his sister when they were younger.  It's been used as a storage shed for decades...and mice and bats and spiders live there too.  Mark has been wanting to pull the fort down for a few years now.  He took the day off from work yesterday to do that, but I wouldn't let him until he helped me clean some stuff in the house.  I had to resort to tears, my friends.  This morning, he was up early again, pacing and thinking about the fort.  Since I am a good wife and my little nest is much improved, I let him attend to his nest...I mean mousetropolis.
Evicted!
Today was the first time since I came down with this cold (that Daniel and Lula now have) that I felt like going outside.  My broken computer mouse still makes navigating photo programs and the internet tricky; I have to use keyboard shortcuts more than I'd like.  But I can't NOT take pictures and post about such an event!
Shane locks Ian inside the fort while Mark works.
The boys got a day off bookwork school and instead got a day of Things You Must Know About Being A Man school.  Will they learn anything or will they just play and annoy their dad?  I guess we will see!
The first tug on the fort only pulled out the front.  It took two more good tugs to get the rest down.  Now Mark and the boys are busy hauling pieces to the fire pit in the pasture.  Daniel helps by cutting things with the brush clippers and looking at spiders.  Even with a nasty cough, he must be where the action is at.
Ian just came in to announce that after they moved everything, they found buried treasure.  He collected two plastic bags and laughed and wouldn't tell me what the buried treasure was.  I just took a little trip down there to satisfy my curiosity.  The treasure? Mark's auto emblem collection from a really, really long time ago.