Thursday, October 24, 2013

Breech Baby

I'm 36 1/2 weeks along now...only 27 days until my due date.  I had an appointment with my midwives yesterday, and they found that Lucky had flipped back into a breech position.  Two weeks ago she was mostly head down, but still slightly transverse.  Before that, she was a solid breech/transverse.

I am far enough along that we are running out of time to get her flipped back into a head-down position.  First, I will be seeing a chiropractor (who happens to be one of my midwives) who will do a special technique that flips babies; this happens tomorrow.  The technique usually works by the third visit.  Meanwhile, I will also be doing exercises at home that help Lucky want to turn (so far they only give her the hiccups).  If this doesn't work, I will be referred to a medical office to have an external cephalic inversion.  And if the ECV doesn't work (they have a 58% success rate), I'll have to have a C-section.

Now, I've had two babies stay breech for a long time before: Shane and Lula.  I was actually checked in at the hospital for the ECV with Shane and when they did the last ultrasound, he had flipped on his own.  But he had flipped by the 36th week.  Lula was transverse/breech until the 34th week, but she flipped on her own as well.

At this point, I still have plenty of amniotic fluid for Lucky to move around in.  This is why perfect strangers feel like they can ask me if I'm sure I'm not having twins.  I'm really hoping the chiropractic adjustment will work.  The ECV looks so painful and recovering from a C-section looks even worse.  I do prefer to have this baby naturally at home because recovery is so much faster.  But if I'm stuck in a hospital, I'm stuck.  There really isn't anything I can do about that...